Did you know that:
10% of children have long term speech and language needs – that’s 3 in every classroom (ICAN Impact Report, 2016)
In some areas 50% of children enter school with lower than expected levels of speech and language (Law et al, 2011)
The number of children with Speech Language and Communication Needs (SLCN) who have reading difficulties is 50-90% (Primary Stothard et al, 1998)
Developmental Language Disorder (DLD) is when a child or adult has difficulties talking and/or understanding language. DLD is a hidden disability that affects approximately two children in every classroom, affecting literacy, learning, friendships and emotional well-being (RADLD, 2020)
81% of children with emotional and behavioural disorders have significant unidentified language deficits (Hollo, A., et al, 2014)
‘2-3 children in every classroom have some form of speech, language or communication need (SLCN) with up to 50% of children in some areas of deprivation starting school with a SLCN’ (The Communication Trust, 2018).
Children with persistent developmental language disorder from preschool to early primary school may be more likely to have social, emotional and behavioural difficulties (particularly behavioural difficulties) (Levickis, P., et al (2018)
Why are Speech & Language Therapy services so important?
When language difficulties are resolved by the age of five and a half, students are more likely to go on to develop good reading and spelling skills [thecommunicationtrust.org.uk]
Here at Sparking Speech we offer Speech and Language Therapy services to preschools and primary schools in Dublin, Wicklow and Kildare.
We work closely with Schools, Specialist Settings and Early Years Settings to support children and young people who have speech, language and communication difficulties. We have a great deal of experience setting up services and working alongside existing provision (e.g. local services) and pride ourselves on providing a gold standard service that is tailored to meet the needs of each school.
What services do we offer?
- Whole cohort language screens (e.g. the WellComm Assessment)
- On site Speech & Language Therapy assessments
- On site Speech & Language Therapy sessions for students – Individual & group sessions
- Detailed Speech & Language Therapy reports & SMART targets
- Supporting Resource Teachers to establish and carry out intervention groups
- Supporting Class Teachers to incorporate speech & language therapy targets into the curriculum
- Achievable targets which are reviewed on a termly basis. These can be discussed with educational staff and can be included on the pupil’s Individual Educational Plan (IEP).
- Programmes and support to staff who will be working with the children (e.g. many schools have teaching assistants who have received further training in speech and language difficulties).
- Summary reports which can be used to transitions, EHCP’s and/or updates.
- Liaison with staff and parents/carers to inform them of the child’s progress and in-classroom support.
How much does it cost?
Any contract will specify the hours per week stated and subsequent hourly rate agreed.
The services within the agreement relate to the academic year (or remaining part thereof) unless agreed otherwise. Invoices will be submitted at the end of each calendar month.
Please note that each half day worked will include 30 minutes of administration time for report writing and target setting (i.e. an hour per full day).
|Frequency of Sessions||Contracted Hours||Hourly Rate|
|Weekly or Fortnightly||Whole session (half or full day)||€85|
|Weekly or Fortnightly||Less than 3 hours per session||€90|
|Half Termly or Termly||Whole session (half or full day)||€95|
|Half Termly or Termly||Less than 3 hours per session||€100|
|Ad-Hoc Support||With or without agreed contract||€110|
*Travel costs will apply for schools situated more than 10km from our clinic.
Do we offer training?
Please see some of the training packages on offer here (link to trainings page). If you do not see what you are looking for please get in touch with us and we would be happy to discuss any bespoke training that your setting would like.
If you would like to discuss the possibility of independent speech & language therapy or staff training for your school, we would be happy to discuss this over the phone or to set up an initial consultation meeting. We look forward to working with you.
If you would like to read some of the testimonials we have received from the schools we have worked with read on here.